Monday, August 1, 2011

Friend Makin' Mondays: Girly Stuff

Friend Makin' Mondays is a regular feature from All the Weigh, a blog which I heartily recommend! If you'd like to participate, please visit her blog and leave a comment including or linking to your responses.

1. Do you like to shop? Sometimes, unless I encounter something like the Old Navy fiasco from a couple days ago. Now that I know what kinds of clothes will fit and which brands are better at providing fashionable clothes for bigger women, I enjoy it more.

2. How often do you wear makeup? Not often. If I find myself with extra time in the mornings, I might put on mascara and eyeliner, but that's atypical. Usually I only wear makeup when I want to look particularly nice.

3. How do you feel about nail polish? I wish I were better about wearing it, but it's such a hassle to me. I dislike the process of removing it and then having to repaint every week just because the paint's starting to chip or my nails are growing out.

4. Do you consider yourself to be a feminist? Absolutely! People tend to misunderstand (and misappropriate) this term to suggest that all feminists actively fight "the man" and men in general. Also, some people think that feminists look down on housewives and stay-at-home moms. In truth, most feminists today think that it's all about choice: If you choose to be a housewife or SAHM, that's great! The problem arises when women aren't given a choice.

5. What’s your biggest challenge as a woman? What a peculiar question. I suppose my biggest challenge is fighting the societal expectations of what it means to be a woman. I'm thoroughly upset when people suggest that my life must be lacking because I'm "not a mom" or comment how I'll "make a great mom" or "be a great wife" someday. While I respect that many women choose to marry and bear children, I hate having to explain why I don't already have a husband or kids and then being berated for it.

6. Do you wear skirts and dresses? I'd like to wear more skirts and dresses, but I lack good/appropriate shoes to go with them. Right now, I'm still in jeans mode.

7. How do you feel about high heels? I'm convinced that the right pair would make me fall in love with heels. That said, I haven't found them. I'll keep looking!

8. Do you subscribe to magazines? No. I find that most articles I would want are available online.

9. Do you shave your legs/wax/use depilatory creams or go au naturale? In winter, I only shave my legs if I need to wear a skirt or a dress for an event. It gets really cold, and any extra layer helps. In the spring, summer, and fall, I shave more frequently depending on the temperature. Once every week or two is my summer norm.

10. What do you like most about being a woman? Being able to wear what I want and pursue my dreams without being labeled in the same way that men are. Granted, women don't have very many advantages in this society, but we do have a little more freedom when it comes to doing what we love.

1 comment:

  1. Great answers! I love your answers to #4 & 5. How we live should be our choice, and no one should think less of us for any choice we make!

    ReplyDelete